The Modern Rules of Advertising Your Music with Social Media
Are you an artist or musician just starting out? Are you anxious for your music to be heard by others, but don’t know how to get it out there? Well, in this article I am going to give you some tips and advice on how to get noticed on Social Media!
First let’s talk about social media platforms that you can use to advertise your music. Great examples are Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Tumblr, Snapchat, Vine, YouTube, Soundcloud and Spotify.
Soundcloud or Spotify: You can create your own profile on either application. You can then upload multiple songs you have written or covered. Personally, I think having a Soundcloud or Spotify is very important, because you can link your profile on other social media apps.
Instagram/Facebook/Vine/Youtube/Twitter/Tumblr: Above, I talked about Soundcloud and Spotify. Now, in your social media profile you can put a web link to your Spotify or Soundcloud music profile. You can post videos or audio of your music for your friends/followers to see. If they are interested in hearing more, tell them to go check out more of your work on your Soundcloud or Spotify, which will be linked on your profile.
Snapchat: You can send small video clips of you playing music to your friends, and if they are interested send them the link to your Spotify or Soundcloud.
Now let me give you a few tips on how to have more people interested in hearing your work.
- Listen to others music!
If you have an Instagram, Twitter, Tumblr, Facebook, Vine etc., dedicated to your music, follow other similar artist accounts. If they follow you back, message them and ask if they could listen to your music and you’ll listen to their music as well.
- Try to perform in local places.
Go around to restaurants or places that may allow you to play your music for a night. Post on your social media that you are performing there, and encourage people to come see you. It’s a win-win situation for you and the restaurant or place you are performing at. More customers for them, and it will help you and your music get ‘known’. Hand out pamphlets with your social media information and your Soundcloud or Spotify so they can check out more of your music online.
- Make your own website.
Make an artist website, all about your passion for music. Post videos of you performing, post when and where you are doing a gig, even blog. You can link this to other social media outlets as well.
- Have conversations with your friends/fans!
If people give you feedback on your music, or compliment it, thank them for listening to your work. Being genuine and pleasant to fans may encourage get people to tell their friends about your music as well. Also, if you are playing out somewhere, ask them what songs they’d like to hear. Being interactive with fans is important.
- Don’t make EVERYTHING about marketing your music.
Although it’s great to promote yourself, don’t make that your only priority. You need some balance between personal content and marketing content. There is general rule called the 80/20 rule. That means that 80% of your posts should be personal, humorous and entertaining. Keep it social and enjoyable. That leaves a good 20% for promoting and marketing your music career.
Overall, I think the most important rule is to be yourself!