Importance of royalties for performers and studio musicians
Song writers, artists, and musicians are parts of our daily musical lives. Can you imagine life without music? Pretty dull, isn’t it? However, one of the most neglected rights is the rights of artists and musicians. This is why sound exchange has been established – to protect the rights and future of musicians we have today.
Sound exchange as defined
Sound exchange, is a known non-profit organization for performance rights who’s responsible for collecting royalties from musical digital transmissions like radio, in behalf of song owners, record labels, and artists. Commonly mistaken from digital royalties, sound exchange covers far more beyond what digital royalties cover. Digital royalties are just part being paid to Sound exchange.
Importance of sound exchange
Sound exchange is an important organization, both for digital stream royalties and artists in many ways. Among these importance include the following:
- It serves as a collective organization where artists can consult
- It fights for the welfare of musicians in collecting royalties from local and international radio that play their songs
- It serves as an organization for musicians to carry out their concerns about royalties
Coverage and limitation of sound exchange
- Sound exchange covers the collection of royalties from radio and other media that stream artists’ music
- They collect and distribute royalties among artists under their membership
- However, in case of downloads, they only cover royalties from services that offer such service.
Who’s eligible for sound exchange?
Any artist, song writer, singer or performance artist can apply for a license under sound exchange. As a return, sound exchange makes sure that those royalties collected are properly distributed among the appropriate person through the Claims Department.
As an artist such as performers and studio musicians, it helps a lot if one applies for sound exchange – not only for your craft’s legitimate protection but your welfare as an artist.